Before you start your job search, it is important to consider what types of jobs you would be qualified to fill. Although you may think that this step in the job search process may be a waste of time, it can be more wasteful to spend time applying for jobs that you are not qualified to do. However, many people think that they are being productive as long as they are applying for jobs.
In contrast, you will have better luck finding a job that is well suited for you if you spend the time required to make sure that you are qualified for the job. That being said, the same goes for individuals who choose to apply for jobs for which they would be considered overqualified. In the same way, you would be wasting your time as employers are looking to hire individuals who have the skills and experience that match the requirements of the role that needs to be filled.
Although you will be asked to create a cover letter for most job applications, it is important to remember that your resume will always hold the most value in determining your eligibility for a job. Thus, your resume will receive more attention than your cover letter, no matter how well your cover letter is written. Considering this fact, you will want to make sure that you use your cover letter to emphasize certain aspects of your resume that relate to the job for which you are applying. At the same time, you will want to use your resume to highlight your experience and academic background, which will be used to determine whether you will move forward in the application process. More specifically, your cover letter should only receive about 30 percent of your attention, leaving the remaining 70 percent of your attention to be put towards refining your resume.
Using the same resources may seem like a good idea; however, checking the same websites on a daily basis can very quickly prove to be a waste of time. Although you should apply for job postings as early as possible, you do not need to sit at your computer and refresh the same job search page repeatedly. Similarly, you should try to expand your list of resources by using a variety of job searching methods. For instance, you can use the local newspaper to search for local job opportunities, but you can also go around to visit the businesses in your local area to get your face recognized by potential employers. At the same time, you can also spend time on the Internet and search through different job search websites. This way, you get a well-rounded idea of the job opportunities for which you can potentially apply. Additionally, you will reduce your chances of wasting your time on one single job search resource.
As obvious as they may seem, it is a huge waste of time if you are simply procrastinating in your job search. The more time you spend waiting to start your search, the more time you are wasting when it comes to potentially finding a new job. Thus, you should get started in your job search as soon as you are ready to become employed, and you will be ready to apply to any job that suddenly comes up or becomes available. If you have the required skills to get started, you can start your job search.